Who is Liable if You Are Hurt in a Friend’s Home?

Lever & Ecker, PLLC October 26, 2013 General

Getting injured in the home of a friend may very well be the worst possible place you could get hurt! You don’t want to ask your friend for money, but on the other hand – you may need help paying for the medical bills their negligence has caused you to experience. Getting hurt at your friend’s house is considered a premises liability case, whether you slip and fall or experience one of the other common causes of home injuries.

Seek Medical Treatment

You should seek appropriate medical treatment for your injuries immediately. You may use your own health insurance or pay out of pocket initially – or ask to be billed later.

Talk to the Friend

Once you have been treated, then you should discuss the situation with your friend as tactfully as possible. Chances are, you aren’t terminating your friendship over the problem and the claim is not against your friend personally – but against their homeowner’s insurance policy. An experienced NY Personal injury lawyer can help you navigate this process.

If your friend takes offense and refuses to give out homeowner’s insurance information, you may need assistance from a lawyer. Friend or not, you should not have to worry about how you will afford your medical bills if you were injured due to negligence or actions of someone else.

memberships + accolades