Lever & Ecker, PLLC April 22, 2019 General
On April 19, 2019, multiple people, including children, were found unconscious inside a Yonkers apartment complex after being exposed to carbon monoxide.
Police and fire officials received the call for a possible CO exposure around 8:30 a.m., Friday, April 19, at 56 Coyle Place in Yonkers, said Yonkers Police Lt. Jared Singer.
“Members of the Yonkers Police Department, Yonkers Fire Department, and Empress Emergency Medical Services responded to the scene and located 11 individuals who appeared to be suffering from various degrees of carbon monoxide poisoning; they were all removed to local area hospitals and trauma centers,” said Det. Sgt. Dean Politopoulos.
Carbon monoxide, often called the “silent killer” because it cannot be seen or tasted, is an odorless gas that is produced by many different types of common appliances. This includes gas stoves, gas water heaters, kerosene space heaters, charcoal grills, gas-powered generators, and engines.
As carbon monoxide binds to the hemoglobin in your blood, which is responsible for transporting oxygen throughout your body, the carbon monoxide leaves no room for oxygen, causing oxygen deprivation. Initially, symptoms of poisoning include only headaches, fatigue, and nausea, but prolonged exposure can result in serious brain damage or death.
An owner or occupier of property owes a duty to regularly and reasonably inspect the premises to determine if there are any dangers to its residents and visitors that need to be fixed or warned against. When a gas leak on a property is not repaired and results in carbon monoxide poisoning to a tenant, guest, or visitor, the property owner may be held liable. In addition, if the source of the carbon monoxide is a faulty heater, stove, or other appliance the manufacturer of the faulty appliance may be sued for distributing such a dangerous product to consumers.
If you are injured, or a loved one is injured or dies, as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, you should retain an experienced premises liability lawyer.
When brain injuries are suffered by an accident victim due to carbon monoxide poisoning, the accident victim, often through a representative, can recover damages that may include pain and suffering, lost wages, lost earning capacity, hospital bills, medical care, lifelong assistance, and household services.
Our Attorneys Give Free Consultations to Victims of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
LEVER & ECKER, PLLC fights hard to obtain monetary compensation for our clients in New York and throughout the country. Our accident attorneys have won millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients.
If you or a loved one has been poisoned by carbon monoxide and sustained serious injury, take action! Contact one of LEVER & ECKER, PLLC’S experienced personal injury attorneys at (914) 288-9191. We will tell you if you have a case. Do not sit on your rights, and do not delay.
We offer free consultations. We charge zero upfront fees and provide a FREE case evaluation. You only pay if we win, so you have nothing to lose by speaking with us. Our only goal is to protect your right to full and fair compensation for your damages. For a free consultation, call (914) 288-9191 , or contact us online. We answer calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week.